Soda has been a huge part of American culture for many years. Nearly 1.8 billion coke bottles are sold per day. Also, approximately 48% of Americans drink at least one glass of soda per day. It definitely shows when you see the health of our country. Who doesn’t love a Dr Pepper or Mountain Dew? Growing up I drank very few things. Those were sodas, sodas, and more sodas. I absolutely loved them and they were all I craved to drink. I had about 3 sodas a day my entire life and I barely ever had water. I wish I would’ve known what that sugary drink was doing to my health in the process. Soda has had a long history is our society. We need to change that quickly for the benefit of everyone. Read along to find out exactly why soda is destroying your health. Also, I will describe some better drink choices as well as tips to quit drinking sodas.
10 Reasons To Stop Drinking Soda:
10. DESTROYS YOUR TEETH – When you drink soda, sugars in your mouth interact with bacteria to form acid. Both regular and diet sodas contain their own acid. With every sip of soda, your teeth are under constant attack. This damaging reaction lasts for around 20 minutes. Drinking soda erodes the teeth and leads to cavities which if left untreated can turn to serious dental problems. If you drink soda constantly, it is best to drink it quickly with straw and a meal. Don’t sip all day!
9. PREMATURE AGING – Telomeres are protective caps on our chromosomes that shorten over time. Their rate of shortening from drinking soda is equivalent to those in a cigarette smoker.
8. HIGH IN CALORIES – Soda is high in calories. Not only calories, but carbs as well. Many people trying out a diet do not account for their drinks. One can of soda contains around 140 empty calories. A 20 oz bottle of soda contains around 240 calories. A large soda at McDonald’s or any other fast food place will contain nearly 310 calories, 86 g of sugar and 86 g carbs. That’s more sugar than you should have for the entire day. Many people who drink soda don’t drink just one. The calories can add up quick.
7. HIGHLY ADDICTIVE – Obviously, soda contains high levels of caffeine. Caffeine is the most popular psychoactive drug. Nearly 80% of Americans have some form of caffeine every day. Caffeine addiction is a very hard habit to break. Too much caffeine can lead to heart attacks, high blood pressure, insomnia, and much more.
6. HIGH IN SUGAR AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS – One can of soda amounts to around 10 teaspoons of sugar. This amount of sugar spikes blood sugar and causes an insulin reaction to the body. High amounts of sugar can lead to many health problems including diabetes, heart disease, and many others. Diet soda is NOT ANY BETTER. Most diet drinks contain an artificial sweetener called aspartame. Aspartame can lead to migraines, mood disorders, and may impair memory performance.
5. OBESITY IN CHILDREN – 1 out of 3 children in the United States are overweight or obese. Soda is a major contributor to this epidemic.
4. WEIGHT GAIN – Simply put, soda is high in calories and contains absolutely no nutritional value. Consuming soda has a profound effect on your taste buds. Research suggests that soda can make you feel more hungry from artificial sweeteners that signal the brain to crave extra food. Estimates show that two glasses of soda per day can add up to 25 pounds of fat per year, depending on body size, age, habits, etc.. It has been estimated the 1/5 of the weight gain in the United States from 1977-2007 is can be attributed to soda. Many people who give up soda can lose weight quickly, even without exercising. Trying to lose weight? Cut out soda for a week and check your results. You will be shocked!
3. DECREASE KIDNEY FUNCTION – Kidneys are very important to your body. Your kidneys remove waste products and excess fluid from your body. Studies suggest that having two or more regular or diet sodas can increase your risk for chronic kidney disease. Soda can also make it difficult for your kidneys to filter waste from the blood stream.
2. INCREASE RISK FOR DIABETES – Studies have found that one or two can of soda per day can increase your chances of developing type 2 diabetes by up to 26%. After six months of daily consumption of soda, fat deposits can increase in the liver by up to 150%, leading directly to type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
1. HEART DISEASE – Heart disease is the number one cause of death around the world. Studies have shown that people who drink two or more sodas per day increase their risk of heart failure by up to 23%.
Still want to drink soda? These 10 reasons are just a few of the many reasons to give up soda. There are absolutely no benefits whatsoever from drinking soda. Giving up soda is not an easy task, given that it is highly addictive. I was the heaviest soda drinker my entire life and I gave them up relatively quick. I will list some tips below on how I gave up soda.
- Start drinking less per day – For instance, if you drink 4 cans of soda per day, try reducing that amount to 3. The next week, reduce it by another can. The week after, reduce it to one. Soon you will start to realize you don’t need it as much as you think.
- Buy less soda – If you don’t have it in your house, you won’t drink it.
- Think about the harmful effects – Now, anytime I put soda in my mouth, all I can think of are the harmful side effects. It doesn’t taste as good when you know the health issues associated with them.
- Find a substitute – Find a different drink that is actually beneficial to your health. Water and green tea are excellent options to replace soda.
- Go cold turkey – Cold turkey is a very difficult way to give up something. But, this is how I stopped drinking soda. In the beginning I was having bad headaches and felt miserable. After I got used to drinking water instead I became much more happy. I also noticed a tremendous decrease in belly fat. I no longer feel the desire to drink soda. I still have soda cravings every once in a while and indulge. But, I probably drink about one bottle of soda every month or two. Which is excellent compared to the amount I drank in the past.
I am not trying to make anyone stop doing something they like to do. I just want to inform people of the harmful effects that soda can cause. I just advise you to think of the consequences. Ask yourself, is it really worth your health to drink soda every day? I hope that this provides help and leads to better choices for your life and health. All I want in the world is to help people better themselves. Quitting soda is one thing that can be extremely beneficial to your life. Quit drinking it, your mind and your body will thank you later.